Check out new industry analysis from Deloitte
Canadian professional services consulting firm Deloitte on Thursday released its annual analysis of the top 10 issues expected to impact the mining industry in 2013. The 40-page report outlines challenges you might expect to continue across all energy sectors and, consequently, to support services companies like yours.
The Top 10 issues for 2013 (presented from the bottom up in David Letterman Top 10 list fashion) are:
10. At the IT edge: Getting the most out of emerging —and existing—technologies
9. Playing it safe: Using analytics to generate insights and improve safety outcomes
8. Plugging the talent gap: Skills shortages still loom
7. Climbing the social ladder: A new level of responsible behavior
6 Combating corruption: Miners are being held to higher standards
5. Governments eye the mining prize: Resource nationalism remains
4. Preparing for the M & A storm: Market indicators point to rising deal volumes
3. Capital project deceleration: Quality trumps quantity in the project pipeline
2. Managing demand uncertainty: Conflicting market indicators magnify volatility
1. Counting the costs: Paying the price of bullish behavior
Not surprisingly, cost control remained the most critical issue for the second straight year. I plan to dissect some of these issues further in a future column in GOMC, but if you want to read the entire analysis, you can find it here:
If you have a comment, question or suggestion for a future blog post, please let me know by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.